This is a limited vintage wine, produced only every so often, when I consider the fruit to be just right for this style.
Luckily for you, 2016 was a great year! – Simon McGeorge | Winemaker
Winemaker Simon McGeorge is descended from a long line of determined and adventurous men and women; notably the original McGeorge brothers; John, Joseph, (there was a sister Jean) Alex (Alec) and James McGeorge, who worked in Central Otago, during the gold rush. The stories told to Simon, and his brothers, of their forefathers’ gold dredging adventures made a big impression on them. To celebrate their family history, the current generation of McGeorge brothers decided to make a wine that would pay tribute to their pioneering ancestors. Their story, as recorded on the back label of the Lady Ranfurly* wine is as follows…
The story of the original McGeorge brothers and their Kawarau river gold dredging exploits is one of enterprise, grit and a dash of good fortune. Overcoming a harsh climate and tracherous waters, in July 1902 the Lady Ranfurly* dredge extracted 1,324 ozs. of gold in a week; a world record that still stands. Now, over a century later, a new generation of McGeorge brothers are proud to release Lady Ranfurly Central Otago Pinot Noir; a wine that reflects the dogged attitude of our forefathers and the environment that forever changed their lives.
* The McGeorge Brother’s third, and most famous, gold dredging machine was launched by the Governor of New Zealand, Lord Ranfurly, in 1898 and was named the Lady Ranfurly.
Lady Ranfurly the Hon. Constance Caulfeild, was the only child and heiress of Viscount Charlemont. Lady Ranfurly held a position of much importance in early New Zealand society. Her husband Uchter John Mark Knox, 5th Earl of Ranfurly: GCMG PC (Ire) JP DL (14 August 1856 – 1 October 1933) was a British politician and Governor of New Zealand from 1897 to 1904.Lady Ranfurly was reputed to be a brilliant hostess and a typical Irishwoman. During her husband’s time as Governor General, Lady Ranfurly, as mistress of Wellington House, entertained King George and Queen Mary on their first Colonial tour to New Zealand.